DES MOINES – Iowa Department of Education Director Ryan Wise today announced members of a new team that will develop recommended statewide standards in fine arts. The Fine Arts Standards Adoption Team will meet for the first time on .
The team’s mission is to create a series of concepts and skills designed to foster creativity and critical thinking in fine arts, which include visual art, general music, instrumental music, vocal music, theater, dance and media arts.
“Iowa is committed to ensuring our students have access to a quality learning experience in all subjects, and that includes fine arts,” Wise said. “Standards are a key component of high-quality instruction. The development of statewide standards marks a major step forward in further strengthening arts education in Iowa.”
The team was created in response to public support for offering standards that go beyond the mandatory subject areas of English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies and 21st century skills.
The team will seek public feedback and eventually will offer recommended standards to the State Board of Education for consideration. If adopted, the fine arts standards would be optional for school districts.
The Fine Arts Standards Adoption Team will have its first meeting on , from in Room B100 (basement level) of the Grimes State Office Building, 400 E. 14th St., in Des Moines.
Learn more about the Fine Arts Standards Adoption Team, whose members are:
· Gretta Berghammer, University of Northern Iowa
· Dan Black, Red Oak Community School District
· Andrea Christians, Pocahontas Area Community School District
· Ellen Craig, Davenport Community School District
· Michelle Droe, Cedar Falls Community School District
· Helen Duranleau-Brennan, Mississippi Bend AEA
· Mike Fisher, Waterloo Community School District
· Leon Kuehner, Iowa Alliance for Arts Education
· Maggie Parks, Marshalltown Community School District
· Joel Pedersen, Cardinal Community School District
· Anne Pisarik, Washington Community School District
· Kevin Price-Brenner, Dubuque Community School District
· Scott Slechta, Fairfield Community School District
· Nate Sletten, Earlham Community School District
· Ronda Sternhagen, Grundy Center Community School District
· Pat Toben, Sioux City Community School District
· Colleen Tomlinson, Rivermont Collegiate
· Kris VerSteegt, Ankeny Community School District
· Matt Walker, Xavier High School
· Valerie Williams, Co'Motion Dance Theater
· Jill Wilson, Luther College
· Yvette Zarod-Hermann, Art Force Iowa
The selections for the IHSSA All-State Large Group Festival were announced today and two of Earlham's Musical Theater groups were selected as All-State nominees.
Grant Becker and Stephen Woolcott will be performing their duets from Title of Show, Into the Woods, and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels at the Ames City Auditorium on
Lauren Thomson, Alexa Losee, Danielle Geneser, Natassja Reed, Kathryn Neese, and Kaylee Hohertz were nominated as a non-performing group for their rendition of Cell Block Tango from Chicago.
The 31st Annual Jack Oatts Jazz Festival was a great success! Thanks to all of the band directors and their students for a great day of jazz education. Thanks also to all of the students, parents, community members, and Earlham Cardinal Music Boosters for volunteering their time and talents to help make this event run smoothly. The judges for this year's festival were Jim Oatts, Dr. John Benoit (Simpson College), David Sharp (Indian Hills Community College), Mr. Joel Poppen (Ankeny High School), and Mr. Dan Stecker (Pleasantville High School).
31st Annual Jack Oatts Jazz Festival Results
The Earlham High School Large Group Speech team traveled to
Valley High School in West Des Moines
, February 4thto compete in the IHSSA Large Group
Speech Contest. Congratulations to the
26team members on their
six Division I
two Division 2
The following received Superior I ratings
Ensemble Acting - Who's On First - Karl Heimberger, Collin Volz
Musical Theater - Male Duets - Stephen Woolcott, Grant Becker
Musical Theater - Chicago - Alexa Losee, Dani Geneser, Kat Neese, Kaylee Hohertz, Lauren Thomson, Natassja Reed
Short Film - You - Kamilla Brindley, Haley LeGrand, Sage Richman
Improvisational Acting - Eli Kasap, John Tibben, Mason Madren, Peyton Boyle
Readers Theater - Brothers and Sisters - Haley Le Grand, Kamilla Brindley, Maggie Luong, Sage Richman.
The two final groups did very well and received Division 2 ratings in their respective categories:
One Act Play - Ruby of Elsinore - Jenna Hardenbrook, Kaylee Hohertz, Maddie Young, Michael Allen, Joshua Woolcott, Jordan Reynolds.
Ensemble Acting - I Know Your Handbag's Fake - Alexis Huls, Eva Fisk, Taylor Hipsley
Congrats to wrestlers Caleb Swalla and Derrin Sesker who both came in 2nd in their weight class in Sectionals on Saturday to advance to District Wrestling. District Wrestling will be Saturday, Feb 11th in Harlan. Good luck!
See the attachment below to check out the latest edition of the Cardinal Chatter!
Congrats to Joe Harkins and his parents Rhonda and Jeff as he signs his commitment letter to Drake to play football today.